Welcome to Department & Orthotics
Purpose of the Department
The department of Prosthetics and Orthotics aim for the better prosthetics and orthotics service through clinical practices, researches and social services.
Director: Dr. Toru Akune(Orthopedist)
Chief: Takashi Nakamura(CPO)
Tomoki Mita (CPO))
Atsuko Mitsumoto (CPO)
Gai Higuchi(CPO & Reseacher)
*CPO:Certificated Prosthetist and Orthotist
6 Lecturers of the P and O college at NRCD are also included.
Our department provides and repairs prostheses and orthoses.
As a national centre, we are supporting people with difficult cases, such as multiple amputations or an amputee having multiple diseases. We also are making prosthetics and orthotics for some special purposes.
* Trial for evaluation of mioelectronic upper limb prosthetics *
For people who lost limbs by working compensation, mioelectronic upper limb prosthetics has been provided on a trial basis since 2008.
NRCD is the one of medical cooperation institution for providing the service.
Research & Development
- Projects (only Japanese)
Recent Research Reports
Okita Y, Yamasaki N, Nakamura T, Mita T, Kubo T, Mitsumoto A, Akune T. Intra-individual biomechanical effects of a non-microprocessor-controlled stance-yielding prosthetic knee during ramp descent in persons with unilateral transfemoral amputation. Prosthet Orthot Int. 43(1), pp.55-61, 2019.
Okita Y, Yamasaki N, Nakamura T, Mita T, Kubo T, Mitsumoto A, Akune T. Kinetic differences between level walking and ramp descent in individuals with unilateral transfemoral amputation using a prosthetic knee without a stance control mechanism. Gait & posture, 63, pp.83-85, 2018.
Atsuko Mitsumoto. Upper Limb Prostheses use for Quadruple Amputees: Report of 3 Cases of Symmetrical Peripheral Gangrene Caused by Pneumococcal Purpura Fulminans. Skills for Life 5. Houston, USA, 2018-10-18/10-22.
- Atsuko Mitsumoto, Nobuya Yamasaki, Takashi Nakamura, Tomoki Mita, Tsutomu Kubo, Ayako Yano, Yusuke Okuma, Toru Akune, Yoshiko Tobimatsu. Characteristics of New Amputees Who Visited the Brace Clinic at NRCD in the Past 10 Years. JSPO，24: p.326-327, 2017.
- T. Nakamura, S. Toyama “Development of a novel thin shear stress sensor for quantitative evaluations of prosthetic socket fit.”JAPO annual meeting, 2017
- Okita Y, Yamasaki N, Nakamura T, Mita T, Kubo T, Mitsumoto A, Akune T. Foot clearance and placement during step-over-step stair descent in persons with unilateral transfemoral amputation using a hydraulic stance yielding knee. 26th Congress of International Society of Biomechanics. Brisbane, Australia, 2017-7-23/2017-7-27
- Takashi Nakamura, Yusuke Okita, “Postural asymmetries in persons with a unilateral transhumeral upper limb amputation: Biomechanical effects of wearing a prosthesis”, Myoelectric Symposium 2017, 2017-8-15/8-18, Canada(Fredericton).
- Okita Y, Yamasaki N, Nakamura T, Mita T, Kubo T, Mitsumoto A, Akune T. Kinetic difference between ramp descent and level walking in individuals with unilateral transfemoral amputation 33th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetists, New Orleans, LA, USA 2018-02-14/2018-02-17.
- Takayuki Maruyama, Takashi Nakamura, Atsuko Mitsumoto, Masato Maeno, Takamichi Takashima, Yoshiko Tobimatsu, “Important characteristics of the trans-femoral residual limb to consider when designing prosthetic sockets”, Asian Prosthetic and Orthotic Scientific Meeting 2016, 2016-11-5/11-6, Seoul（Korea）.
- Takashi Nakamura, Atsuko Mitsumoto, Nobuya Yamasaki, Tomoki Mita, Tsutomu Kubo, Yoshiko Tobimatsu, “Preparation of a Brochure for Lower Limb Prosthesis Training Beginners”, Asian Prosthetic and Orthotic Scientific Meeting 2016, Seoul, 2016-11-5/11-6.
- Motomu NAKASHIMA, Ayako ONO, Takashi NAKAMURA. Effect of knee joint motion for the transfemoral prosthesis in swimming. Journal of Biomechanical Science and Engineering. 10(3), 2015, p.375.
- Kunihiro Ogata, Tomoki Mita, Takeshi Shimizu and Nobuya Yamasaki.Training Assist System of a Lower Limb Prosthetic Visualizing Floor-Reaction Forces using a Color-Depth Sensing Camera.The Institute of Electronics,Information and Communication Engineers, Vol. E98-D, No. 11, 2015.
- T. Nakamura, Y.Yamasaki, M. Nakagawa, R. Tanaka, K. Takahashi, Y. Tobimatsu. Prostheses for persons of purple fuluminans with quadruple amputation. 15th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. Proceedings, p391, 2015.
- T. Maruyama, T. Takashima, T. Nakamura, M. Maeno, A. Mitsumoto, Y. Tobimatsu, H. Fujimoto, A. Takanishi. 15th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. Proceedings, p.455, 2015.
- M.Hoshino, S.Sasagawa, Y.Tobimatsu, K.Nakazawa. Evaluation of postural control during quiet stance using center of mass acceleration in bilateral transtibial amputees. 15th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. Proceedings, p491, 2015.
- H. Hobara, Y. Kobayashi, T. Nakamura, N. Yamasaki, T. Ogata，Foot clearance strategy for step-over-step stair climbing in transfemoral amputees, Prosthet Orthot Int, 38(4), 2014, p.332-335
- A. Mitsumoto, T. Maruyama, T. Nakamura, M. Maeno, T. Takashima, Y. Tobimatsu, The relationship between the compression value and the soft tissue hardness in transfemoral amputees. JSPO 30 Asian Young Resserchers Session, JSPO special issues, 30, 2014, p104.
- Takayuki Maruyama,Takamichi Takashima, Takashi Nakamura, Masato Maeno, Hiroshi Fujimoto, Atsuo Takanishi, Tissue Distribution Changes in the Trans-Femoral Residual Limb After Donning a Prosthetic Socket”, Asian Prosthetic and Orthotic Scientific Meeting 2014, Taiwan, 2014-11-28/11-30.
- K. Yoshimoto, Y. Okuma, T. Nakamura, T. Mita, A. Mitsumoto, N. Yamasaki, Y. Tobimatsu, M. Akai. Limb fitting for quadruple amputees: Report of two cases of symmetrical peripheral gangrene caused by pneumococcal purpura fulminans. Prosthet Orthot Int, 37(6), 2013, p.489-494
- H. Hobara, Y. Kobayashi, S. Tominaga, T. Nakamura, N. Yamasaki，T. Ogata. Factors affecting stair-ascent patterns in unilateral transfemoral amputees. Prosthet Orthot Int, 37(3), 2013, p.222-226.
- M. Nakashima, S. Suzuki, A. Ono, T. Nakamura. Development of the Transfemoral Prosthesis for Swimming Focused on Ankle Joint Motion. Journal of Biomechanical Science and Engineering. 8(1), 2013, p.79-83.
- Shigeru Toyama, Sayoko Utsumi, Takashi Nakamura, Terumasa Noguchi, and Yasuhiko Yoshida. A Novel Thin Shear-Stress Sensor Using Electrolyte as a Conductive Element Sensor Lett. 11, p.442-445, 2013 .
- K Uehara, M Akai, T Kubo, N Yamasaki, Y Okuma, Y Tobimatsu, T Iwaya, Soft-plastic brace for lower limb fractures in patients with spinal cord injury. International Spinal Cord Society 2012, 1?4.
- Hiroaki Hobara, Yoshiyuki Kobayashi, Shuichi Tominaga,Takashi Nakamura, Nobuya Yamasaki，Toru Ogata. Factors affecting stair-ascent patterns in unilateral transfemoral amputees. Prosthet Orthot Int. 37(3), 2013, p.222-226.
- T. Nakamura, N Yamasaki, T Mita, T Kubo, A Mitsumoto, S Tsutsui, Y Tobimatsu, A Survey of QOL of lower limb Amputees. Asian Prosthetic and Orthotic Scientific Meeting 2012. p49.
- T. Nakamura, T. Maruyama, T. Takashima, H. Fujimoto. Preliminary study of quantification of shape and elasticity of a residual limb of a transfemoral amputee, 14 th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. 2013, Proceedings, p375.
- H Hobara, Y Kobayashi, T Nakamura, N Yamasaki, K Nakazawa, M Akai and T Ogata. Lower extremity joint kinematics of stair ascent in transfemoral amputees . Prosthet Orthot Int 2011; 35: p.467-472.
- Sasaki, K., Kubo, T. Development of Dynamic Casting System (DCS) for Artificial Leg Socket Modeling Using Computer Interface. 13 th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. 2010, Proceedings p.402-403.
- Nakamura, T., Toyama, S. Socket Materials and Perspiration: Development of the Superabsorbent Polymer Socket Interface 13 th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. 2010, Proceedings p.446-447.
- Naito, H. Yamasaki, N. Aikawa, T. ,Inoue, T. Matsumoto, T. Tanaka, M. Gait Analysis of Newly Developed Hip Disarticulation Prosthesis Walking - Rotation Axis of Hip Joint is on the Side of Socket. 13 th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. 2010, Proceedings p.672-973.
- Naito, H. Nakamura, T. Hoshino, M. Maruyama, T. Computer Simulation of Walking Considering Foot Deformation. 13 th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. 2010, Proceedings p.1085-1086.
- Hobara, H. Kobayashi, Y. Naito, K. Nakamura, T. Yamasaki, N. Nakazawa, K. Biomechanical Analyses of Stair Ascent in Transfemoral Amputees. 13 th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. 2010, Proceedings p.1117-1118.
- Mita T. Tobimatsu Y. Kawashima N. Potential impact of mirror reflection-induced visual feedback on phantom limb awareness in forearm amputees. 29th International Congress of Clinical Neurophysiology, Kobe, 2010-10-28^11-01, Clin. Neurophysiol. Vol.121 Suppl.1 p.S262.
- Kawashima N. Mita T. Tobimatsu Y. Psychophysical evaluation of phantom limb condition in forearm amputees. 29th International Congress of Clinical Neurophysiology, Kobe, 2010-10-28^11-01, Clin. Neurophysiol. Vol.121 Suppl.1, p.S262.
- Kawashima N, Mita T. Metal bar prevents phantom limb motion: case study of an amputation patient who showed a profound change in the awareness of his phantom limb. Neurocase. 2009 Dec;15(6):478-84.
- Sasaki, K., Kubo, T. Development of dynamic casting system for artificial leg modeling. 12 th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. 2007, Proceedings p.241.
- Nakamura, T．Socket materials and perspiration : Effect of Superabsorbent polymer as the socket interface． 12th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. 2007 ，Proceedings p.215．
- Hoshino, M., Nakamura, T., Aikawa, T., Goto, M., Ito, T., , K., Arizono, Y., Ooishi, G., Takashima, T., Development end evaluation of a prosthetic foot for elderly amputees. 12 th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics and Orthotics. 2007，Proceedings p.364．
- Kawashima, N. and Mita, T. Invisible Metal Bar Prevents Phantom Limb’s Motion. 2nd Advances in Neurorehabilitation. Toronto, Canada, 2007-06, FICCDAT. 2007, CD-ROM.
- Koike, M., Isihara, M., Akai, M., Aikawa, T., Yamasaki, N., Sasaki, K., Katou, N., Sibata, Y., Matuda, Y.“Development of a mechanical ankle joint for an artificial foot used as a ski prosthesis”. Conference Proceedings. 11th World Congress of the International Society for Prosthetics & Orthotics. Hong Kong, 2004-08-01/8-6. p.389.
The department of Prosthetics and Orthotics has cooperated below activities.
* International cooperation
[JICA group training course: Prosthetic and Orthotic Technique]
There are many people, who need prostheses and orthoses, caused by the war, working accidents, polio, tuberculosis or Hansen's disease at developing countries, such as Asia or Africa.
The department of prosthetics and Orthotics at NRCD have taken place the seminar for improve of senior PO technique through the JICA(Japan International Cooperation Agency) program.
The program is available on NCRD letter news (only Japanese)
- Provision and Prices of Lower Limb Prostheses in Japan(PDF)
- Manual to Prepare a Brochure for Beginners of Lower Limb Prosthesis Training(PDF：2052KB)
- Information from Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare